Inspired History 6–8 is a series of books for middle school students based on the new curriculum introduced by the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE).
In accordance with the guidelines of the new curriculum, these books:
- Prepare students to meet the challenges of a knowledge-based society in a dynamically changing environment
- Seek to equip students with a wide range of skills and instill in them a positive attitude to help them become successful global citizens
- Cater to students with a diverse range of intelligences and abilities, and provide them with an enjoyable learning experience
These books have an interactive and a child-friendly approach, so that students enjoy learning history and civics. They are also richly illustrated so as to make the subject come alive for the students.
Equal emphasis has been paid to major events in Indian and world history so that students get a holistic picture of the past. Also, events are covered in a systematic and chronological manner so that the students can recognise the patterns and understand the underlying processes that moulded our past and present.
Several new features have been added to the books.
The main features include:
- Timelines provide a graphic representation of the periods of time under study, with the main events that occurred in that period arranged chronologically. They give students a brief and concise picture of the period under study.
- Rich photographs, illustrations, tables and chartsserveas teaching tools. They not only illustrate the text, but also convey information that goes beyond the text.
- Map Skills provides the students with a spatial perspective of historical events.
- Go Further offers extra information on the topics under study.
- Spotlight defines and illustrates particular terms or concepts used in the text that need special and focussed explaining.
- Heritage Corner provides historical or cultural information related to the chapter. This ensures integrated learning.
- Quick Recap sums up the main concepts in the chapter. It is a useful tool for revision.
- Vital Words lists the important terms used in the chapter at the end of it.
- Hands-on offers a variety of tasks, such as map work, project work, field trips, poster-making, script-writing, role-play, chart work and making presentations.
- Graded exercises cover each chapter in detail, and move from shorter objective-type to longer detailed-answer type questions.
- Analysing and Critical Thinking requires students to apply what they have learnt in the chapter, and to think beyond it.
- Multiple Choice Questionstest a student’s understanding of the chapter in depth since they involve choosing the correct answer from several similar options.
- Look and Learn offers picture-based questions that encourage students to observe, identify, and recall facts.
- Life Skills and Values helps students develop skills needed for everyday life and imbibe the right values.
- Websites for further reference provides Internet links to augment the topics under study. These are also useful for projects.